History is important for a number of reasons.
1. History helps us to understand change and how the society we live in came to be.
2. History provides identity.
3. History contributes to moral understanding.
4. Understanding the past is fundamental to understanding the present.
5. History helps you understand the origins of modern political or social problems.
6. A lack of historical knowledge prevents people from truly understanding the world they live in.
7. History trains your mind and teaches you how to think and process information.
8. History provides you with the skills employers are looking for – critical thinking skills, analysis, the ability to construct an argument by selecting and ordering relevant information, basing conclusions on research.